Parts of Braces in Atlanta, GA
Are you curious as to what parts of braces will make up your orthodontic treatment? Patel & Womble Orthodontics in McDonough and Norcross, GA, provides a variety of different types of braces and appliances to make your care more efficient. The type of braces that you choose for your treatment will impact the parts of braces involved in your therapy. Board-certified orthodontists Dr. Brian A. Womble and Dr. Ruchir R. Patel are happy to answer any questions that you may have about the process.
Here are the basic parts of braces that you’ll want to be familiar with:
- Appliances: Any type of device that attaches to your teeth or braces to facilitate proper jaw development or changes.
- Archwire: The thin wire that attaches to brackets and guides your tooth alignment.
- Bands: Metal rings placed around the teeth to hold brackets or wires in place.
- Bond: When cement is used to hold orthodontic appliances or brackets into place.
- Bracket: The small square or shaped piece that is bonded to your tooth for an archwire to be mounted on.
- Coil Spring: A small spring placed between brackets to create space.
- Elastics: Rubber bands that are hooked onto specific teeth to initiate movement.
- Elastic Ties: Colorful or clear rubber bands that fit over your archwire and hold it onto the bracket.
- Headgear: An orthodontic appliance that encourages proper jaw movement/growth. It is held in place by a head or neck strap.
- Headgear Tube: A small attachment on back bands where headgear fits into place.
- Hook: An extended arm on the bracket where an elastic is attached.
- Ligature: A thin wire alternative to hold archwires onto brackets.
- Lip Bumper: An archwire that is bonded to a piece of plastic to keep the lip slightly protruded, creating more space for front teeth to be moved.
- Mouth Guard: A protective device that prevents injury to your lips, teeth or concussions that occur during physical activities.
- Palatal Expander: An adjustable device that widens your upper jaw.
- Retainer: Fixed or removable appliance that preserves tooth placement after your braces have been removed.
- Spacer / Separator: Tiny rubber “O” rings placed between teeth to create space for bands.
- Tie Wire: A thin wire alternative to hold archwires onto brackets.
- Wax: Soft, moldable wax that is placed over rough orthodontics to prevent lip/cheek irritation.
Affording Your Braces in Atlanta, GA
Patel & Womble Orthodontics in McDonough and Norcross, GA offers affordable payment plans and Saturday appointments. Contact us to find out more! Dr. Ruchir R. Patel and Dr. Brian A. Womble are board-certified orthodontists that provide a variety of braces for adults, braces for teens, and braces for kids. Schedule your family’s consultation with us today.