Retainer Instructions in Atlanta, GA
For our patients from McDonough, Norcross, and the greater Atlanta area, getting your braces removed can be a real cause for celebration. However, even after your braces come off your treatment isn’t entirely over. Afterward, the board-certified orthodontists at Patel & Womble Orthodontics will prescribe removable or permanent retainers to preserve the placement of your newly aligned teeth. Taking care of your retainer should be a high priority throughout the duration of its use. Here are a few retainer instructions that Dr. Ruchir R. Patel and Dr. Brian A. Womble recommend to make sure your smile stays in good shape for many years to come.
Cleaning Your Orthodontic Appliance
Your retainer will spend the majority of its time in your mouth. This means you will need to make it a priority to keep it clean and well maintained. In most situations, all that is needed is to gently clean it with a soft toothbrush and toothpaste each day. Denture cleaner or antiseptic mouthwashes may be used with water to help disinfect your appliance or loosen buildup so that it is easier to brush away. Avoid using hot water to wash off or soak your retainer as it may cause the plastic to warp because of the heat.
In the case where you have a permanent retainer that is fixed in place, general brushing and flossing are all that is necessary to keep it clean. A floss threader or water flosser can make it easier to clean under the retainer and between the teeth in that area.
General Care Instructions
Besides keeping your removable retainer clean, you also want to make sure it doesn’t accidentally break or get misplaced. To prevent calling us for a replacement, be sure to:
- Keep your protective retainer case on hand. Make it a habit of storing your retainer properly while you’re eating.
- Avoid placing your retainer in a napkin during meals. Doing so is one of the most common reasons why retainers accidentally get thrown away.
- Keep your retainer away from pets. Storing it safely in the protective case when not in use will make it easier to find and prevent your pets from testing its durability.
- Don’t try to repair or adjust your retainer on your own if it becomes damaged. Contact Patel & Womble Orthodontics for a quick fix or replacement.
- Bring your retainer to your dental appointments.
- Keep your retainer away from hot surfaces, washing machines or dishwashers.
- Take your retainer out if you are participating in an activity that will make it impossible to find if it falls out, such as swimming at the lake.
Financing Your Retainer
Protect your investment of a straighter smile by caring for your retainer each day. A clean, durable retainer will help you keep your smile healthy and prevent the need to pay for a replacement. Although your initial retainer is included with the cost of your braces, a replacement retainer is not. If you’re worried about fitting an appliance into your budget or purchasing a replacement, we encourage you to take a look at our affordable dental financing options. Patel & Womble Orthodontics offers convenient payment plans through CareCredit® and OrthoFi to our patients throughout Atlanta at our nearby McDonough and Norcross locations.